Tuesday, September 15, 2015

O.N.E.

Dear Roman,

I'm not sure how to accurately express what I am feeling right now. I honestly feel like I blinked and a year has gone by already. There are so many things that I want to say to you, but I don't even know where to begin. You completely changed your Dad and I's lives one year ago, and for that we are so grateful. That first few days in the hospital with you were some of the best and worst days of my life. I don't think I have ever felt so many emotions all at the same time. I can still hear your first cry, and remember your cute little scrunched face and squinty eyes when they brought you around to me. I'll never forget the panic I felt when your Dad came back after they weighed you, and told me that you were so small, only 3 lbs 7 oz. I was so worried. I didn't get to see you after that for a few hours and oh how I longed to hold you. When I did get to see you it was only for a brief moment and you had to get whisked away to the NICU. The rest of that week was such a blur, partly I'm sure because of the meds I was on to keep my pain under control, and partly because there was so much going on with you and so many things that we had to learn.
I think almost every time I saw you in the NICU I would tear up a little, you were just so tiny and cute! Although you had come into the world under circumstances I had never expected it was still just so great to finally meet you and have you here with us.

Roman, you were/are such a strong little guy. You have such a calm temperament about you, and that came across right away. You would get soo angry when other babies in the NICU would cry for too long! haha Like they were interrupting your sleep or something. Bringing you home was honestly one of the happiest days of my life. It was so great to finally just be at home as a family :)

Roman, you have taught me so much in your short life! You have the sweetest little spirit, there is no doubt that you came straight from Heaven, and you brought a little piece of Heaven into our home. I didn't know how truly happy I could be, until you were born. You are the greatest blessing that we have ever received.
There were so many times throughout this year that I worried you wouldn't make it to your first birthday. I was so so scared that something would go wrong during your heart surgery. That is something I hope we never have to experience again. I am so glad that you have prospered since then, and continue to grow and progress.

Some of your favorite things right now: Eating! You get so excited for your bottle, and for food when we are eating at the table. You love spitting...us not so much ;) You love grabbing people's faces and trying to eat them. You love reading books, sometimes you get angry when we have to stop. You are scooting/ army crawling all over the place. You hate sitting unless you are playing with something that is distracting you. You love standing all the time, and especially lately standing and looking out the front window. You love attention! Being the only grandchild on both sides, you probably get a little too much attention.

Tonight as I put you to sleep I just couldn't help but feel so overwhelmed with gratitude that you are mine forever. I can't wait to continue to watch you grow and develop. People already love you so much, and even complete strangers will stop and say hi to you, and obsess over your sweetness. I hope you never lose that sweetness, Roman, because the world could use a lot more kindness. I love you with my whole heart! Thank you for choosing me to be your Mama.

First Family Photo

One Year Later







4 comments:

  1. Awe this made me tear up , such a sweet heartfelt letter . God Bless :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and I love his bday pics! So adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love your entries, it's as if I can feel your love for Roman jumping off of the pages. We are all bless to know your family. Happy birthday, you sweet little miracle.

    ReplyDelete